Monday, February 12, 2007

Another Honey-Do Project

We are getting a new washer and dryer on Thursday. Our 12-year-old washer is on its last legs, making horrible banging noises on the spin cycle, so we decided it was time to purchase a new machine, a front-loader this time. They are so much more efficient and use much less water so they are environmentally friendly. We must do our part, I reasoned. Now, being one to like order and symmetry, that meant that the dryer needs to match the washer, so Hubby and I went shopping for the pair. We picked out a lovely set, but alas, they were out of stock in white, so the salesman offered us a RED pair for the same price. Well, also being one who loves the color RED, I jumped at that chance. I wouldn't have paid extra for the color, but if it's free, why not? And in ten years, when the color is horribly out-dated, they will be safely hidden away behind closed doors where no one will see them except me. In the meantime, I'll get to enjoy doing laundry for a little while. (Is that possible??)


So, here are the soon-to-be-replaced pair. Yesterday, we hauled them out of their little space, and did a good cleaning behind them.....oh, things do accumulate and get lost back there. But then I had a wonderful little project for Hubby. I thought we should replace the venting hose that goes from the dryer to the outside world. After all this time, it certainly must have been clogged with lint and that would be such a fire hazard. It sounded reasonable to Hubby, so after two trips to the hardware store we had everything we needed to do the job.


Not so easy. The old vinyl flexible hose snakes down behind the dryer, through the floor and runs above the dropped ceiling in our finished basement. Ceiling tiles had to be moved, the new metal flexible hose (now "code") isn't nearly as easy to bend and twist around the rafters, and Hubby was having a terrible time, sneezing all the while, as all the dust he was stirring up was certainly not good for his dust allergies. Try as I might to sound supportive, he knew this was my idea!



Finally we got the hose to the unfinished part of the basement, where it had to coil out from above the finished ceiling, under the rafters, around the drainage pipes, and finally be attached to the outside vent. But of course, the vent is in a corner, behind the extra refrigerator, and above a lot of stored things, like a mattress and box spring and an old bureau. It was not easy to get to, and Hubby was still sneezing and blowing and snorting.....not one of his more favorite projects in recent memory. Meanwhile, I was busy taking his photo which made him inquire as to what in the hoo-ha I was doing that for. "This will make a good blog entry", I explained. "Great!", he sneezed.

Later in the week, I will post a photo of the new RED washer and dryer. I can't wait for them to be delivered. I've declared all laundry done until that time, I've given my daughter my big box of laundry detergent as the new model takes high efficiency detergent, and we've wrapped up the old appliances ready for them to be hauled away. There are times in a woman's life that are milestones....one of them is when she gets a new washer and dryer. Wheeeeeee!!!!

4 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You'll enjoy your new set, I've had mine for about three and a half years now. (They were me 50th birthday present! ha!!) My husband really likes the red, too.

Faith said...

I loved reading your blog it made me laugh give your hubby a pat on the back he is now famous in sheffield too in the UK. You certainly will have to post a picture of your new red washer and drier. Makes me think of my washer in shame and clangs and bangs all the time giving my dear old neighbour a breakdown down stairs. My dogs have become bombproof a term mainly used for horses not scared of traffic or silly things that flap in the wind. My dogs have become bombproof to the washing machine, the drier and the sewing machine but they dont like the hair dryer and most certainly not the smoke alarm when it pip pips now and again.

Nutbudx

meggie said...

As i am almost allergic to red, I dont envy you! LOL.
But I do wish for a new dryer, as ours has died. And though we are in drought mode, it does sometimes rain for days here on the Coast.

Every one deserves a good washer & dryer!! You husband is a gem!!
My 'gem' is still trying to get the new door bell he purchased, to work!!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

You didn't happen to find my stray blue sock behind your washer, did you? It has to be SOMEPLACE!

I LOVE the red replacements. Kind of like a wonderful secret.