Monday, August 13, 2007

August Joys

I have the bad habit of thinking of August as the end of summer, the end of carefree living, and just the precursor to the the craziness of September activities. I fear getting back into the routine of weekday evenings full of meetings, no more leisurely dinners on the deck watching the birds and sipping wine, and cooler shorter days replacing the long warm summer nights. This year I've decided to look for the positives of August, to find the things that bring me joy in this month, rather than dread the end of summer. These are a few of my favorite August things:

I love fresh tomatoes grown on my own plants, this year in a big container on the deck. They are a little worse for the wear after our vacation but they are still producing their wonderful red delights. With slices of mozzarella cheese, some fresh basil, and a little balsamic dressing, they are a true joy of August. I do believe I could live on this salad for a long time!

I also love the flowers that bloom in my garden this month. While so many of my perennials have come and gone, my black-eyed susans and my hydrangeas are blooming happily in the hot sun, eager to rise above the other plants that need a good cutting back already. They make me happy with their gorgeous colors and long-lasting blooms. Every morning I stand at my kitchen window and drink in their beauty.

So here's to August, no longer just the end of summer, but the beginning of many special things that bring me joy.

1 comment:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Celebrate the bounty! Life is Good!