Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Best Wine


Over the last few years, we have become more intrigued with finding good wine. Hubby and I could never agree on a bottle of wine to share. He preferred the reds, cabernets in particular. I preferred the whites, white zinfandel was my choice for a long time. (I know, it’s the Kool Aid of the wine world!). We have both made some concessions and our wine tastes have both migrated toward the middle. Now we can share a good pinot noir or a shiraz, and occasionally I’ll find a wonderful white wine that Hubby will drink too. He tends to drink merlots now and I go for the pinot grigios, and so for Christmas, he gave me this great wine cellar with a side for white and a side for red, each at their own temperature. Notice which side contains more bottles!

This year we hosted a wine tasting for some friends with Spanish wines as the centerpiece. We had a knowledgeable sommelier who explained the regions of Spain and which wines come from the different areas. It was very informative and many of us bought many bottles!

Do you have a favorite wine? How did you find it? What do you love about it? To anyone who's out there reading, I’d like to hear your recommendations.

5 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

White: Boutari Santorini (Greece)
Sancerre (France)
Red: Chateau Neuf du Pape (France)
Belvedere Merlot (Russian River, CA)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Here's another recommendation, if you can find it:
Henschke 2001 Hill of Grace Shiraz
(Australia)
A really nice, drinkable everyday wine; (it is red however) is a Côtes du Rhône from the Rhone region in France. They are light and fruity and remind me of a Beaujolais- don't wait for aging, they are bottled to be consumed right away. You can find them everywhere and they are affordable. I like the Côtes du Rhônes better than those with "Villages" on the label as the plain varietal is lighter. Have fun!

Ancestor Collector said...

Mrs. G. I'm writing down all your suggestions and taking them to my wine shop to start the hunt!! Thanks so much.

meggie said...

Having just holidayed in New Zealand, I was so impressed with wonderful white wines.
I think my favourite was Oyster Bay
Sauvignon Blanc.
I am a Kiwi, so I am biased I guess.