Friday, January 12, 2007

The Passinghams


Inspired by reading another blog, I decided to tell the story of my great grandparents, Walter and Beatrice Passingham. This photo was in celebration of their engagement to marry and was taken around 1894. The original photo is actually a postcard of sorts. They presumably mailed the cards to friends and loved ones to announce their betrothal. They married in London, England in 1895.


This photo was taken at my great-grandparents’ wedding and they are seated in the center of the photo. Walter’s brother Arthur is seated on the ground in front of him and his sister, Mary (Polly) is on the left. You can certainly see the family resemblance! Behind them are more ladies of the family who really don’t look very happy to be attending this wedding, but in those days, one had to hold perfectly still while the photograph was being taken because the shutter stayed open so long. Walter worked for his father's company, Passingham Processed Meats, as did most of his brothers. When his father, George, died, the management of the company went to Walter's older brother, Jonathon. Now Jonathon wasn't a savvy businessman, and he was a bit of a swindler, and as the story goes, he lost the business because of shady dealings.

Around 1908, so despondent over the loss of the family company, Great Grandfather Walter up and deserted his family and fled to Australia. Not knowing what had become of him, Beatrice had him declared dead seven years later, and married Claude Boulter, hence I always knew my great grandmother as Granny Boulter. Walter worked on a sheep station in New South Wales, Australia until his death in 1932.


Here are Beatrice and her children in 1909 or so. Her son George (my grandfather) is standing next to his mother, daughter Ivy is seated, Charles is the little boy in the sailor suit, and Leonard is the baby. Sadly, Leonard died as a child and Charles died as a young man. Ivy never had any children, and as my grandfather only had daughters, the Passingham line from Walter is dead.

I am fascinated by the lives of my ancestors. One's experiences make us the person we are, the parent we become, and colors the shape of the generations to come. I know my love and gift of music comes through this Passingham line. My grandfather and his sister were both professional musicians. What impact will my life have on those who come after me?

5 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You conclude with a deep question, and you may never know the answer. I think that it's OK, though; because, to wonder about our impact on future generations speaks volumes to how we live as Christians, as role models, as parents and grandparents. You have already demonstrated your love and appreciation for family by the hard work dedicated to researching your ancestors. The Passigham story is captivating. Great post!

Sheila said...

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.
This is fascinating stuff, as I am slowly discovering too, about my own family. The old photographs put faces to the names we hear about, and the people then become more 'real'.
I hope to do more posts in the future, as I learn more of my family history.

meggie said...

I really enjoyed your post, & just love the old photos. We have a hilarious one of our Grandparents on Honeymoon. They stayed at a Marae, which is a Maori meeting house, & they are pictured outside the building, standing about 3 feet apart!?
We laugh every time we see it.
I have the most wonderful memories of my maternal Grandmother, & hope my grandchildren will remember me fondly. I love them dearly.

Anonymous said...

I am researching the Passingham name. How can we get in touch?

Roy Passingham

Hampshire, UK

Ancestor Collector said...

Hi Roy,

You can email me directly at paulineray@hotmail.com

Regards,
Pauline